Tennis World Left Outraged As Rafael Nadal Pulls Out Of Madrid Open Due To Injury Concerns
NADAL PULLS OUT OF MADRID OPEN DUE TO INJURY CONCERNS
Rafael Nadal is not managing to have the preparation for the upcoming French Open that he would have hoped for, and his latest withdrawal from a prestigious warm-up tournament has come after he announced that he would not be able to participate at the Madrid Open. The 36-year-old has had to withdraw from a number of leading clay-court tournaments in advance of Roland-Garros.
Rafael Nadal has announced that he will not be able to participate at the Madrid Open due to his ongoing injury concerns in what is a blow to his French Open preparations.
Nadal was already unable to play at the Barcelona Open as he is still recovering from a muscle injury in his left leg picked up at the Australian Open in January.
The Spaniard had already withdrawn from Indian Wells, the Miami Open and the Monte Carlo Masters as he continues to focus on returning to full fitness.
The 22-time Grand Slam singles winner now faces a race against time to be match ready for the French Open, which gets underway on May 28.
Eurosport tennis expert Henin has said that she believes Nadal will look to replicate the mental fortitude he needed to come back from a lengthy foot injury when he won the Australian Open and French Open in 2022.
“His energy to win the Australian Open was huge,” she told Laura Robson in Monte Carlo.
“He kept playing so well, kept winning and then through Roland-Garros – even though he had to go through some difficult things – he made it. The effort he had to put into it was huge.
“Maybe too much – we don’t know for the future. He wanted to win that Grand Slam again and will want [to again] if he can come to Roland-Garros this year.
But time goes on, time flies and he’s also getting older.
“We hope Rafa has enough matches to come to Roland-Garros in good condition. It’s getting harder and harder but we have to remember that Rafa mentally is someone very special.
“For sure, he’s giving the best he can to be prepared and ready to be at his best in Paris in a few weeks, but he knows the situation much better than us.”
Nadal’s latest withdrawal will surely raise concerns over his potential participation at the French Open as both he and his old rival, world No. 1 Novak Djokovic, eye an outright-record 23rd Grand Slam singles title.