Breaking NewsGolf

After LIV Golf Merger, PGA Tour Goes Against Tiger Woods Yet Again by Strongly Objecting His Future Vision

The golf world is currently undergoing massive changes, the imminent PGA Tour-LIV merger among them. This week, PGAT golfers ascertained what’s to come for them in the form of a memo sent by Tour commissioner Jay Monahan. While the memo laid down a great deal of crucial information, it’s what Monahan said about the future of golf balls used in competitions that has garnered significant attention. The situation is made more complex by the fact that the new rules are in stark contrast to Tiger Woods‘ vision for the game. Let’s dive in to find out more!

 

 

PGA Tour does not share Tiger Woods’ vision of golf ball rollback
Back in March, USGA CEO Mike Whan and R&A chief Martin Slumbers led a press conference that called for a Model Local Rule (MLR), a regulation that would reduce hitting distances by about 14 to 15 yards on average for the longest hitters with the highest club head speeds. At that time, the PGA Tour gave a lukewarm reaction, only saying that it would keep track of the situation.

 

 

On Wednesday, the Tour finally gave its verdict, stating that it would not support the proposed ball rollback. In their memo, the golfing circuit shared that discussions had taken place on the topic at a recent Players Advisory Committee meeting, which ultimately led to the conclusion that “the proposed modified local rule is not warranted and is not in the best interest of the game.”

While many pros like Jon Rahm and Justin Thomas are also against the rollback proposal, golfers Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy are huge proponents of it. “I have always been an advocate of rolling the — if you do anything to the equipment, I don’t think that you can change the size of the heads anymore, just because there’s so many out there,” the 15-time major winner had said ahead of his appearance at the 2023 Masters. Meanwhile, World No. 2 McIlroy once opined that ball rollback would “help identify who the best players are a bit easier.”

 

 

Both players have yet to comment on the memo. Woods, especially, has maintained a deafening silence despite the ongoing upheaval in the golf world.
A look into the PGA Tour’s controversial new memo
On Wednesday, Jay Monahan resumed his position as the PGA Tour commissioner for the first time since taking a medical leave in mid-June. The 53-year-old’s return also brought along with it an explosive new memo that sheds light on the PGA Tour’s future in the wake of its $3,000,000,000 merger with the Saudi Public Investment Fund (PIF).

 

 

Per the memo, the Tour is currently working on a “Player Benefit Program.” The aim of this initiative is to financially compensate players who did not defect to LIV Golf last year. The new memo also mentioned that the Tour had appointed a “Task Force,” which will work towards developing pathways for LIV players who wish to “reapply” to the Tour in the future.The PGA Tour’s decision not to support the USGA and R&A’s joint golf ball rollback proposal was another highlight from the recent memo.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button